- Until Giotto di Bondone, c. 1267 – January, 1337, better known simply as Giotto, who was an Italian painter and architect from Florence, there was no painting.
- During the Middle Ages, from the 4th to the 13th centuries, the art of painting stopped.
- In the 11th century Romanesque art appeared.
- “you learn to draw (paint) by drawing (painting)” (Jean-Auguste Dominique)
- Ever since it emerged in the early 15th century. During the last 500 years it has grown to become the most dominant form of artistic painting and the medium of choice for most of the world’s greatest artists.